To import several values in a list efficiently, we recommend you use an Excel table saved as a .csv file.
It should be correctly formatted to avoid any syntax mistake when it will be used in the submissions.
- Here is an example of a one-level list about status :
- Here is an example of a multi-levels list (here 3) about countries and cities :
In this example, the values on the third and second columns can only be selected once you have selected the corresponding value in the column just before (called "parent value"). So to choose the city of Melbourne, you have to pick the country of Australia, which means you picked first the region of Oceania. The less detailed value (left-hand column) is called "parent" and the most detailed (right-hand column) is called "child".
- Create the table with as many columns and lines as you have values and levels
- Go to the "Lists management" page and create a new list by clicking on "New" in the top right corner
3. Indicate the list name, and click on "Add" to save it
Once you created the list, you are automatically directed to the list modification page.
4. Click on "Import" in the top right corner
5. Select the .csv file you created earlier containing all the values of your list.
6. Make sure to enter the following informations on the other fields :
- Column separator : a comma "," (by default, it is ";" so you have to change it)
- Update : Differential replaces everything by the imported values so you have to be cautious if your list is not empty. Append adds values to an existing list without erasing its previous values. It will adjust and add cities in Spain or countries in Europe in our example as long as the structure of the import is the same. For an empty list, use "differential" by default.
- Encoding: by default it is UTF-8, however prefer switching to Western Europe as it is the most accepting format, you will reduce the risk of error.
Once you finished all the steps, it should appear like this for our example :
In your .cvs file, you can write two values in each cell if one has "##" added before. This value will become the external id, which is used in publiposting (in reports and formulas).
Please sign in to leave a comment.